Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Great People Don't Always Do A Great Job

Gold Star Referral Clubs meet weekly to give and receive referrals.




I recently heard Lee Cockerell speak and no one knows more about leadership than Lee Cockerell, the man who ran Walt Disney World® Resort operations for over a decade. After I heard him speak, I immediately ordered his book, Creating Magic, 10 common sense leadership strategies.

I listened when he said,  "Great people don't always do a great job unless they have great training, the training is enforced and they are proud to be a part of the culture."

When I think about the people that we've hired over the years as Gold Star Directors, some of them have turned out great and some... not so great. Some are great at doing the main things, the basics over and over again, and some never even figure out how to do the basics.

The more I read from Lee Cockerell's book Creating Magic, the more I learned about how to help Gold Star Directors become great leaders. 

You see, hiring the right people is good, but training the right people to do the right things is invaluable. At Disney, they train, train, enforce and re-train their employees. Each individual gets the right training for the right job. They get to know each person as an individual, not just a face in a flock of employees.

Gold Star Director are independent contractors, not employees, but each one is special and appreciated. Even though we have directors and clubs in about 16 states, we try to connect with them as much as possible with calls, training, emails and video conference sessions. Yet, we could do so much more. I want to do a better job. I am totally inspired by Lee.

If you get a chance, order Lee Cockerell's book today. I highly recommend it. He will make you want to become a better leader. 

Lee also said: "Leadership is more than a role, it's a responsibility."



No comments:

Post a Comment